I am an iPhone fangirl, no doubt about it. I’ve had a 3G phone for almost two years now and use it constantly. All that being said, this post is not about how the iPhone is better than your particular mobile phone. The items I think are fantastic about the iPhone may be available on other phones as well … so no comments about why the iPhone isn’t all that, and the HTC is so much better!
1. The new Retina display is GORGEOUS! I never thought my previous phone had a bad display, or was unclear or blurry, but the crisp sharpness of the new display is unbelievable. This picture doesn’t even remotely do it justice, but the subject is pretty darn cute. 🙂
2. Voice Control – I don’t know if this is new with the 4.0 or if it was new with the 3GS, all I know is I didn’t have the ability to do this before on the 3G (and if I did and just didn’t know about it, please don’t tell me – I would be devastated!). I played around with this feature last night. “Call Robyn” and the phone says back “call Robyn Rakoniewski” (and even pronounced it correctly …. almost), then asked me if I wanted to dial the home, mobile or work numbers and I said mobile, and it started the call. I may have played with it a few too many times since Robyn’s no longer answering my calls (whoops!). It also recognizes the music I have on the phone. “Play songs by Jack Johnson” and sure enough, Jack Johnson music starts playing. Pretty darn slick!
3. Multitasking – I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy this aspect of the 4. It hit home last night as I was flipping back and forth between a safari webpage and my wordpress app. Before, anytime I quit safari I would have to wait for the page to reload when I opened it up again. Not anymore! There’s also the ability to listen to Pandora while surfing the web, or working on a blog post etc. All very good.
4. Camera – There are a few items to the Camera that are pretty cool. First, there’s now a flash so I can actually see pictures I take in low light situations! Second, HD Video!! I now have a video camera in my phone – no more porting around the Flip, or forgetting to bring the Flip, or forgetting I actually did bring it and have it in my purse but not realizing it, therefore no video. I haven’t played around with it very much, but I imagine it will be a big hit with the kids. The Facetime application is pretty intriguing. It won’t be of a lot of use to me until more people I know get iPhone 4’s. And it’s limited to wifi use only (not over cellular).
5. iOS4 – I love the upgrade to the operating system. I downloaded iOS4 on my 3G phone so have been playing around with the Folders feature, and ability to sync multiple exchange accounts. My google calendar is now available on the actual calendar! I’m intruiged with the iBooks app, although I can’t see it replacing my Kindle app. I have too many books on Kindle that are available in too many places, to limit myself to just reading on the iPhone. Since I was on a 3G previously, I wasn’t able to take advantage of the multi tasking, or background wallpapers.
My old phone was also getting …. well… old. It seemed very slow switching between applications. There was a huge pause each time I opened Safari, or Tweetdeck, or Facebook, or just about anything. That pause is gone on the new phone. Everything seems to work much faster which makes me very happy!
I’m very pleased with my new phone. I haven’t noticed the dreaded yellow dots that have been mentioned online. I also haven’t noticed the bar drop issue when the phone is held a certain way (and I tried to make the bars drop). That being said, I’ve had it for less than 24 hours so we’ll see how it all turns out.